Definition: A terrorist
attack has occurred or credible or corroborated intelligence indicates
that one is imminent. Normally, this threat condition is declared
for specific location
or critical facility.
- Listen to the radio/television for current information and
- Be alert for suspicious activity and report it to law enforcement
- Conduct identification checks, (e.g. driver's licenses retained at
the main office) and escort all visitors as deemed appropriate by
- Implement parking restrictions and park vehicles away from
- Close or limit access to schools if recommended by appropriate
authorities, e.g. local law enforcement, public health, etc.
- Consider having mental health counselors available for students,
staff and faculty.
intelligence indicates that there is a high risk of a local terrorist
attack but a specific target has not been identified.
- Be alert to suspicious activity and report it to local law
- Review school emergency plans.
- Prepare to handle questions from anxious parents and the media.
- Conduct identification checks of all visitors to the school (e.g.
driver's license). Escort visitors as deemed appropriate.
- Discuss children's fears concerning possible terrorist attacks.
Elevated risk of
terrorist attack but a specific region of the United States or target
has not been identified.
- Remind students, staff and faculty to be alert and to report any
suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities.
- Ensure all emergency supplies are stocked and ready.
General risk with no credible threats to specific targets.
- Be alert to suspicious activity and report it to proper
- Conduct safety training and emergency drills in accordance with
the school's emergency operations plan.
- Have the schools emergency communications plan updated.
- Have the plans include both evacuation and shelter and provisions
for sleep, food, and sanitary needs of students and sheltered nearby
residents for several days.
Low risk of
terrorism. Routine security is implemented to preclude routine
- Develop a written emergency operations plan to address all
- Include an emergency communications plan to maintain the safety of
students, staff and faculty, as well as, an emergency communications
plan to notify parents in the event of an emergency.
- Have the emergency operations plan has been filed with the local
fire departments and law enforcement agencies, as well as, the county
- Assess which personnel have been trained in first aid/CPR.
- Have first aid kits stocked.